Subscribe to the Newspaper
View the Online Newspaper
Welcome
Search: Site   Web
DAVID PARDO, DAILY PRESS
The La Mesa/Nisqualli interchange as seen on Thursday, Dec. 20, is coming in $15.3 million under budget, with Victorville and SANBAG costs dropping nearly 26 percent as they worked to cut cost by shortening the timeline for construction, opting not to use an office complex and using sub-consultants. Those funds can be used for other future road projects.

Most Commented Stories

Nisqualli interchange $15M under budget

Victorville, SANBAG costs drop nearly 26 percent

Interchange budget: By the numbers:

• $58.5 million — Original construction budget, split between Victorville and SANBAG

• $43.2 million — Updated construction estimate

• $7.7 million — Savings to both Victorville and SANBAG

Source: City of Victorville

VICTORVILLE • Construction of the La Mesa/Nisqualli interchange is coming in nearly 26 percent or some $15.3 million under budget, with the savings split between the city of Victorville and San Bernardino Associated Governments.

Both agencies will be able to reallocate their $7.6 million to future road and transportation projects.

The drop in cost is primarily due to construction bids coming in lower than expected and a reduction in construction management costs, according to Victorville City Manager Doug Robertson.

The engineer’s estimate to build the interchange was $49.8 million. However, when bids came in, Riverside Construction won with a bid of $36.2 million.

SANBAG also approved $8 million to Arcadis US for construction management, but that cost is coming in $2 million or 25 percent under budget. Arcadis and SANBAG worked to cut costs by shortening the timeline for construction by four months, shifting staffing, opting not to use an office complex and reducing funds to sub-consultants.

Victorville struggled for decades to get the interchange off the ground, hoping to alleviate traffic on Bear Valley Road by providing another east/west route across town and another way to access Interstate 15.

In 2010, the city agreed to hand construction to SANBAG, splitting costs evenly between the two. The project broke ground in February 2011, with construction now roughly half-way done and on schedule for a mid-2013 completion.

SANBAG’s share of the money comes from state Corridor Mobility Improvement Account funds and Measure I sales tax revenue, dedicated to Victor Valley road projects. Tim Watkins, spokesman for the agency, said the state previously reduced its CMIA allocation, with the rest of the saved funds available for qualified future projects in San Bernardino County.

Victorville’s share of funds comes from anticipated development impact fees, paid each time a new home or business is built. Robertson said the DIF funds will be available for use on other projects sooner than they would have had the interchange come in at its original estimated cost.

Brooke Edwards Staggs may be reached at (760) 955-5358 or at BEdwards@VVDailyPress.com.

Get complete stories every day with the "exactly as printed" Daily Press E-edition, only $5 per month! Click here to try it free for 7 days. To subscribe to the Daily Press in print or online, call (760) 241-7755, (800) 553-2006 or click here.


See archived 'Local News' stories »
 
Ads by Google
Click to vote
Recommend this story?
Yes
No
The online vote:



Add your comments
Please follow and enforce these guidelines:
1. No flaming. Do not be hostile.
2. No comments that are obscene, vulgar, lewd, sexually-oriented, threatening, libelous, or illegal.
3. No racial slurs or insults.
4. "Remove Comment" flags offensive comment for removal.

Verification Code:
Enter Verification:
Your Name:
Your Comment:
By submitting this form, you agree to this site's terms of service




Profile Skills
50% off Learning Style Assessment
ADVERTISEMENT 
Featured Events

 
  • Find an Event
ADVERTISEMENT