Other Articles in this Category
Most Viewed Stories
Most Commented Stories
Stay safe as you shop till you drop
VICTORVILLE • Black Friday is looming just days away. And as residents gear up for a steady stream of trips to the local mall or shopping centers over the next month, deputies with the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Victorville station are offering a series of tips to help shoppers stay safe through the bustling holiday season.
• Don’t leave valuables in plain view inside of your vehicle. Conceal items by placing them in the truck before arriving at your destination.
• Disable the trunk release button.
• Park your car in a well-lit area close to the store.
• Shop in a group if possible.
• Hold your purse tightly on your shoulder, one arm grasping the strap.
• Keep credit cards and cash in your front pocket for easy access and to prevent them from being stolen with your purse.
• Call someone when you finish shopping to say you are leaving the mall.
• Combine shopping bags to create the illusion of fewer purchases.
• Have keys ready to open car door and walk with confidence through the parking lot.
• Be aware of your surroundings and make sure no one is following you as you go to your car.
• Place packages in the passenger seat and lock the doors after you get in.
• Report any suspicious persons or activity to your local Sheriff’s Department, or call 911 for emergencies.
For more information, visit www.VictorvillePD.org.