Other Articles in this Category
2 hours & 25 minutes ago
2 hours & 45 minutes ago
2 hours & 47 minutes ago
2 hours & 59 minutes ago
Most Viewed Stories
Cops, firefighters offer tips for a safe holiday
The Barstow Police and Fire departments unveiled their tips for a safe holiday season at the most recent City Council meeting.
• Avoid displaying gifts where they can be seen from a window or doorway.
• Don’t leave ordered packages on porches or doorsteps. Instead, arrange to have packages delivered to your neighbor’s house or to your local post office for pick-up.
• Always lock your home doors and windows, even if you’re only going to be gone for a few minutes.
• When going out of town, have a trusted friend or neighbor take care of your home.
• For extended absences, contact the Police Department and request a vacation watch for your residence.
• Shop with a partner.
• Park in a well lit area and as close as possible to the store.
• Always lock your car and close the windows.
• Lock all of your packages in the trunk of your vehicle or cover them inside your vehicle.
• Have keys in hand when returning to vehicle.
• Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
• Stay alert to your surroundings.
• Report suspicious people.
For Christmas trees:
• For natural trees, keep them watered. Dry trees can catch fire.
• Do not place tree close to a heat source, including a fireplace or heat vent.
• Never put tree branches or needles in a fireplace or wood-burning stove.
• Dispose of tree by taking it to a recycling center or having it hauled away by a community pick-up service.
For holiday lights:
• Inspect lights each year for frayed wires, bare spots, gaps in the insulation, broken or cracked sockets and excessive kinking or wear.
• Do not overload electrical outlets.
• Do not leave holiday lights on unattended.
For holiday decorations:
• Use only nonflammable decorations.
• Don’t block exits.
• Never put wrapping paper in the fireplace.
• Never leave a burning candle unattended.
• Make sure candles are in stable holders and place them where they can’t be easily knocked down.
• Never put lit candles on a tree.