Other Articles in this Category
41 minutes ago
Most Viewed Stories
Propane tank explodes as family escapes AV home
APPLE VALLEY • Three people escaped seconds before a propane tank exploded on the back patio of their Apple Valley home Wednesday afternoon, an Apple Valley Fire Protection District official said.
The explosion from the 50-gallon tank created a giant fireball that heavily damaged the patio of the house in the 22500 block of Little Beaver Road, Chief Sid Hultquist of the Apple Valley Fire Protection District wrote in a news release.
No one was injured.
The family — a grandmother, her son-in-law and a 14-month-old grandchild — smelled gas just after 4 p.m. One of them went out to the patio to investigate and heard a loud hissing noise coming from the tank, the news release stated.
They ran out the front door as the tank exploded.
Firefighters arrived to find fire and smoke at the rear of the home and several spot fires burning in the yard. The 14 firefighters quickly extinguished the flames and kept the fire from spreading to the home’s interior, the release stated.
The explosion singed the fur of two puppies and four pygmy goats in the backyard, but they were otherwise unhurt.
Get complete stories every day with the "exactly as printed" Daily Press E-edition, only $5 per month! Click here to try it free for 7 days. To subscribe to the Daily Press in print or online, call (760) 241-7755, 1-800-553-2006 or click here.