Other Articles in this Category
Most Viewed Stories
Most Commented StoriesNo matches found.
Christmas tree, holiday decoration safety tips
While filling the home with holiday cheer, Christmas trees and holiday decorations also increase the risk of house fires. Follow these tips from the Calfire to keep your home festive but safe this holiday season.
Christmas tree tips:
• Choose a fresh tree with green needles.
• Recut the truck at least two inches above old cut.
• Keep the trunk in water at all times, and checking the water level daily.
• Place the tree at least three feet from any heat source, including a fireplace, heater or wood stove.
• Never leave a lighted tree unattended.
• Remove the tree immediately after the holiday.
Lights and decorations tips:
• Choose flame-resistant or flame-retardant decorations.
• Keep decorations away from heat sources, windows and doors.
• Properly install holiday lights, using indoor lights inside and outdoor lights outside.
• Make sure electrical cords have no frayed edges, cracked wires or broken sockets.
• Do not attempt to repair a worn light set.
• Do not overload electrical outlets.
• Do not link more than three light strands, unless the direction indicate it is safe.
• Do not leave lights unattended or turned on for long periods of time.
• Keep your exits clear of holiday decorations.