Other Articles in this Category
Most Viewed Stories
Most Commented Stories
Awards ceremony to honor Barstow's best
BARSTOW • The Barstow Area Chamber of Commerce will spotlight local businesses and individuals who serve the community during an upcoming awards ceremony.
The 32nd annual Community Recognition Awards banquet, also known as the “Academy Awards of Barstow,” will be held at 6 p.m. Saturday at the Cora Harper Center.
“The chamber puts this event on every year to recognize the people, organizations and businesses that go above and beyond what is expected in terms of service to the community,” Executive Director Dianna Ross said.
“A lot of them do it anonymously and are not seeking attention,” she said. “We appreciate them.”
Pastor Eddie Pate of the First Baptist Church of Barstow will be master of ceremonies, where nominees in ten different categories will be awarded.
Nominations are taken year round with winners voted on by a committee of past winners.
“Everybody gets dressed up and there’s a nice dinner and presentation,” Chamber of Commerce member Cory Baker said.
Baker, who has been nominated for the People’s Choice Award and Man of Continuous Service said he’s been a nominee for the past eight years but hasn’t won yet.
“It’s always nice to be nominated and to know someone’s thinking about you,” he said.
Awards will also be given out for Student of the Year in the Barstow, Central and Silver Valley school districts. The military will also recognize Marine of the Year, National Training Center Airman of the Year and National Training Center Soldier of the Year.
Previous winners are not eligible for this year’s awards with the exception of Organization of the Year, Small Business of the Year and Large Business of the Year. In these three categories, winners prior to 2002 are once again eligible.
“Tickets are selling fast,” Ross said.
Tickets are available to the public for $35, and businesses can sponsor a table with two seats for $250 or four seats for $500.
For more information or to purchase a ticket contact the Barstow Area Chamber of Commerce at (760) 256-8617.
• Man of the Year: Donald Price Sr., Dale Milligan, Kris Okamuro, Darrell Kemp, Officer Andrew Ellis, John Prince, Rusty Layton, “Big John” Manser, Tim Silva, Tim Heiden, Jerry Green, Steve Curran, Willie Hailey Sr., Genaro (Jerry) Guardado, Darrin Fikstad and Joe Gomez
• Woman of the Year: Cathy Stephens, Carol Randall, Andi Flores, Eva Stewart, Jeaneatte Hayurst, Jane Laraman-Brockhurst, Heather Bremen, Jennifer Rodriguez, Sharon Banbury, Peggi Fries, Escolastica Baca, Ann Eshelman and Louise Miller
• Small Business of the Year: Fidelity Moving Co., The Furniture Outlet, Printing Solutions, Fitness MD, Barstow Towing Inc., Lorin Creative Vision, Treasure House Mall, Lee & Associates, American Towing, Stewart’s Business & Tax Service, The Cutting Edge Hair & Nail Salon and Rosita’s
• Large Business of the Year: VNA California, Ramada Inn, Westech and Stater Bros.
• Organization of the Year: Barstow Clothing Exchange, Barstow Community Football, American Cruisers Motorcycle Club, Barstow Youth Advisory Council, Barstow Humane Society, Barstow Pageant, Barstow Crossroads Kiwanis Club, Barstow Rodeo Group and Desert Manna
• Man of Continuous Service: David Jaggers, Edward “Chico” Chavez, Max Atalla, Stanley “Ed” Hignett, Jeff Eason Jr. and Cory Baker
• Woman of Continuous Service: Marilyn Dyer-Kruse, Rose Beardsher, Marcia Zableckis, Lorin Richter, Kris Watson, Kristi McCasland and Jan Morrow
• Best Event of the Year: Win to Lose Challenge, San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Barstow Desert Rescue Squad, BCH Healthy Woman Event, BACC Harvey House Holiday, BCH VIP Reception & Ribbon Cutting, PAL/Cops for Kids, 24th Annual Barstow Rodeo Stampede, Christmas Alive and Mud Run
• Up & Coming Volunteer: Yolander Minor, Emily Eshelman, Cadee Eshelman, Amanda Vargas, Amanda Vargas & Georgia Vargas, Lorin Richter, Robin Lard and Miranda Wessel-Allmon